NEW DELHI: No permission has been granted for Sunday’s planned protest against the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026, and the reservation system at Shah Auditorium in the capital, Delhi Police clarified.The police described videos circulating on social media claiming that permission had been granted as “false and misleading.”“It is further clarified that prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS (erstwhile Section 144 CrPC) are already in force in the North District. Accordingly, protest marches, processions, demonstrations, and assemblies of five or more persons are strictly prohibited,” the Delhi Police said.Urging citizens not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content on social media, the force warned of strict legal action against those found creating or disseminating fake news.This comes after a large number of people gathered at Jantar Mantar on Friday to protest against caste-based reservation under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), calling for a complete overhaul of the reservation system.The protesters demanded that quotas in academics and employment be determined strictly by income levels rather than social or caste identities. They also advocated for a “one family, one reservation” policy and called for the immediate withdrawal of the University Grants Commission’s (UGC) 2026 caste-equity directives.Security personnel were present at Jantar Mantar as protesters assembled at the designated protest area. The police deployment was carried out as a precautionary measure amid the large gathering.RHA is an official Instagram page with 5.6 million followers. The platform rapidly gained traction by adopting the protest-mobilisation tactics of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), which led protests in Delhi against the NEET paper leak.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Be respectful · TOI community guidelines
Meanwhile, the Centre has informed the Supreme Court that it is currently reconsidering the UGC’s equity regulations, which seek to address caste-based discrimination in higher educational institutions.The regulations had already been kept in abeyance by the top court on January 29. At the time, the court said the provisions were “prima facie vague” and could have “very sweeping consequences”, warning that they could potentially divide society and have a “dangerous impact”.The top court had also asked the Centre and the UGC to respond to three petitions challenging the new framework.The bench also questioned the exclusion of ragging from the regulations, noting that it remains a “common form of harassment” in educational institutions.The court had further observed that the wording of the 2026 regulations appeared “prima facie vague” and “capable of misuse”.
